New release 15.02
Feb 1, 2015
Version 15.02 Shotcut is now available for download with the following enhancements:
- Add x265 codec.
Based on the same principles and code as the esteemed x264 project, x265 provides a solution for the emerging H.265/MPEG High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) standard.
UDPATE: There is also a new Encode preset named "HEVC Main Profile."
- Add video quality measurement tool.
Upon successful completion of an encoding job, access the job's menu by right-clicking it in the job list or by selecting it and using the menu button at the bottom of the Jobs panel. Then, choose Measure Video Quality. A file dialog opens for you to enter the name of a text file to contain a report containing PSNR and SSIM values for each video frame. When the measure job completes successfully, open its menu in the same manner to view the report or to open an original-on-top/encoded-on-bottom view in the player.
- No longer auto-plays upon opening a playlist and multitrack project.
- Auto-select all text upon giving a timecode field focus. See the Keyboard Shortcuts page for info about entering time values.
Version 14.12 re-release
Dec 7, 2014
We recently discovered that versions 14.09 - 14.12 were failing to launch on systems running OS X 10.8 and older. In the course of fixing it, we believe the problem could affect more than just those versions of OS X - a Linux user reported a similar problem. Also, we noticed a regression on Windows with the ability to drag-n-drop files onto the player window after a filter using on-video controls (VUI) had been used at least once during the session. Therefore, a new 14.12.06 build of the 14.12 release is available for download to address these problems.
New Release 14.12
Dec 6, 2014
In addition to little fixes here and there, this version has a new filter menu to prevent the menus from getting too full as we add more.
Now, you can flag filters as favorites. The default list upon opening the menu is your favorites. Click the other icons to view all filters of that type. In addition, when GPU processing is enabled, you can use CPU-based video filters in addition to the GPU filters. We only show the CPU filters that are not redundant with their GPU counterpart. We only allow you to place CPU video filters after all GPU filters, but you can still reorder within those groups. This is done mainly for performance reasons - to prevent the video from having to go back and forth between CPU and GPU memory.
New Release 14.11
Nov 1, 2014
The new version 14.11 of Shotcut is now available for download with the following enhancements in addition to the usual bug fixes:
- The HTML5 features are finally available on Windows!
- Add source code editing to the HTML editor.
- Add 3D Text filter based on WebGL, typeface.js, and three.js.
- Add support for DirectShow devices on Windows in the Open Other dialog.
- Add the Opus audio codec.
- Change the VP9 WebM preset to use the Opus audio codec.
- Add support for the #localtime# keyword to the Text filter (no button yet).
- Restart instead of simply closing the app when changing the GPU or language settings.
- Change the Redo keyboard shortcut to Ctrl+Y on Windows only.
- Save file paths in MLT XML with relative names for assets in the same folder or sub-folder. This makes it easier to use a relocatable project folder.
- Add scale and offset parameters and a preset widget to the Rotate filter. Usually after rotating a video, part of the image has been clipped. These new parameters provide control for that clipping processing including no clipping.
- Add Italian translation.
New Release 14.10
Oct 1, 2014
Since it is the beginning of the month, it is time for a new release (v14.01) of Shotcut. This is primarily a maintenance release to fix some bugs. However, this version does introduce a Polish translation. Also, for Leap Motion control, the roles of open and closed hand have been swapped - close hand to pause, open it for shuttle control. This makes it operate more like other Leap apps and makes it more reliable when moving your hand in and out of Leap’s view. In addition, FFV1 encoding has been fixed and restored. Thank you to everyone who has shown your support.