These are brief notes about known problems and feature additions. See
News or the git
log for more
- Added File > Export Frame…
- Added Remove transition to History by trimming a neighboring clip to
- Fixed version checker.
- Show red outline on scrub bar of Source player to indicate selection.
- Added Cut, Copy, and Paste to Edit menu and Timeline tool bar.
- Changed double-click on Timeline clip to select+seek instead of copying to Source player.
- Changed Timeline keyboard shortcut A to append.
- Changed Timeline keyboard shortcut C to copy.
- Changed Timeline keyboard shortcut Enter to seek to start of clip.
- Added Peak and True Peak meters to the Audio Loudness scope.
- Added version/upgrade-checker.
- Added check for missing files when opening .mlt XML project file.
- Added dialog to locate and resolve (relink) missing files in project file.
- For clips with speed changed, added support for saving and loading relative path and file names.
- Added Export EDL to the File menu.
- Added YouTube preset to Export (which does the same thing as not changing any export settings, not selecting an export preset, or clicking Reset).
- Updated Blackmagic Design SDI/HDMI output to work with recent driver updates.
- Mostly just fixes.
- Added Remove to Jobs panel.
- Added 25% option to player’s Zoom button-menu.
- Improved application logging.
- Moved status messages front and central and removed status bar.
- Fixed frequently reported problem with black video on Export.
- Fixed a few crashing bugs.
- Added an option to Windows installer to remove registry settings to help people with new crash-on-launch problems.
- Reduced memory usage when exporting a playlist or mulitrack project.
- Added Normalize: One Pass audio filter (existing Normalize renamed Normalize: Two Pass.
- Added Audio Loudness to View > Scopes.
- Added Brightness video filter for CPU and GPU.
- Added Contrast video filter for CPU and GPU.
- Added Reduce Noise video filter for CPU only.
- Install ffplay and ffprobe executables.
- Improved visual feedback about what is selected in Timeline, Properties, and Filters views.
- Added More Information to clip Properties overflow-menu.
- Added Start Integrity Check Job to clip Properties overflow-menu.
- Added auto-rotate for video clips with orientation metadata.
- Added a Ukranian translation.
- Changed player tab Program to Project.
- Changed panel name Encode to Export.
- Added a From field to the Export panel to allow exporting the project, a
clip loaded in the Source tab of the player, or or each playlist item as a batch of jobs.
- Added an export preset for animated GIF.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to v3.0.
- Upgraded MLT to v6.0.0.
- Audio waveforms on timeline are updated incrementally as progress is made.
- Allow dual pass encoding for CBR.
- Added Show Video Thumbnails option to the timeline menu.
- Added Rebuild Audio Waveform to a timeline clip’s context menu.
- Added Speed parameter to Properties for an audio/video clip.
- Added Properties views for track and timeline when selected.
Click track head to select track; click the timeline’s cornerstone
(top left block) to select the timeline.
- Added Blend mode to track properties (not available in GPU
processing mode; only applies when compositing is enabled in the
- Added Alpha Channel: View video filter.
- Added Alpha Channel: Adjust video filter.
- Added Chroma Key: Simple video filter.
- Added Chroma Key: Advanced video filter.
- Added Key Spill: Simple video filter.
- Added Key Spill: Advanced video filter.
- And, as usual, a bunch of fixes and translation updates.
Note: none of the above, new video filters can utilize GPU-processing at
- Added crash recovery for untitled sessions.
- Added Slovak translation.
- Added Rutt-Etra-Izer video filter.
- Added audio/video device and screen capture for OS X.
- Added screen capture for Windows.
- Added Application Log to View menu.
- Added Save button to text viewer dialogs (logs, XML).
- Added video Deinterlace, Interpolation, and Parallel-processing
options to Encode panel.
- Reorganize the Settings menu and added headings.
- Added Close action to File menu.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for trimming on Timeline: I, Shift+I,
- Added support for ripple trimming on Timeline.
- Mostly just bug fixes.
- Added Dutch translation.
- Added Russian translation.
- Added project check and repair function.
- Added Scrub Audio to Settings menu.
- Added Display Method to Settings menu (Windows only).
- Added Portugal Portuguese translation.
- Added Mute audio filter.
- Updated Qt to v5.5.
- Updated FFmpeg to v2.7.
- Added a Greek translation.
- Added a Ripple All Tracks option to the Timeline menu.
- 4 new audio dynamics filters:
- 4K UHD support
- 5 new video filters:
- Old Film: Dust
- Old Film: Grain
- Old Film: Projector
- Old Film: Scratches
- Old Film: Technocolor
- 5 new audio filters:
- Bass & Treble (3-band graphic equalizer)
- Band Pass
- High Pass
- Low Pass
- Added Insert Track and Remove Track.
- New default Encode settings produce a better quality H.264 MP4 file.
- Composite now defaults to on/enabled for new video tracks.
- Added 64-bit Windows build.
- Added Audio Spectrum analyzer.
- Changed audio Gain filter to use dB and log scale.
- Added a toggle button to Lock a track.
- Changed Insert and Ripple Delete to ripple across all
- Changed keyboard shortcut to adjust track height to Ctrl+-
- Added keyboard shortcuts to toggle track:
- Mute - Ctrl+M
- Hide - Ctrl+H
- Lock - Ctrl+C
- Add Distort option to Size and Position filter.
- Add video Cut option to Transition Properties.
- Code-sign Windows executable and installer.
- In Timeline, operate on clip under the play head if nothing
- New keyboard shortcuts for Timeline:
- Select clip under play head: Ctrl+Space.
- Move selection one item to the right/left: Ctrl+Right/Left.
- Blanks can be selected to remove/ripple-delete: X or Shift+Del
- Deselect everything: Ctrl+D.
- Open As Clip: Enter/Return.
- Added an audio tone generator (in File > Open > Other).
- Now you can set a new default duration for audio or video
- The WebM VP9 encode preset enables multi-threaded encoding.
- Add Update button to Playlist panel.
- Double-clicking a successfully completed Encode job, now opens the
result in Shotcut.
- Consolidate GPU and Video filters in Filter menu.
- Add View > Scopes > Audio Waveform.
- Move audio peak meter to View > Scopes > Audio Peak Meter and
main toolbar button.
- Move volume slider to player toolbar icon.
- Add x265 codec.
- Add video quality measurement tool.
- No longer auto-plays upon opening a playlist or multitrack project.
- Auto-select all text upon giving a timecode field focus.
- Only a few bug fixes and translation updates.
- New filter menu allows you favorite filters and see only favorites.
- CPU-based video filters can be added after GPU-based filters.
- The HTML5 features are finally available on Windows!
- Add source code editing to the HTML editor.
- Add 3D Text filter based on WebGL, typeface.js, and three.js.
- Add support for DirectShow devices on Windows in the Open
- Add the Opus audio codec.
- Change the VP9 WebM preset to use the Opus audio codec.
- Add support for the #localtime# keyword to the Text filter (no
- Restart instead of simply closing the app when changing the GPU or
- Change the Redo keyboard shortcut to Ctrl+Y on Windows only.
- Save file paths in MLT XML with relative names for assets in the
same folder or sub-folder. This makes it easier to use a relocatable
- Add scale and offset parameters and a preset widget to the
Rotate filter. Usually after rotating a video, part of the image has
been clipped. These new parameters provide control for that clipping
processing including no clipping.
- Add Italian translation.
- Maintenance release to fix some bugs.
- Added Polish translation.
- Restored FFV1 encoding and preset.
- Change Leap Motion control: close hand to pause, open hand
- Added WMV and WMA encode presets.
- Enabled the video player zoom and pan controls for OS X.
- Added Size and Position video filter with a rectangle control that
overlays the video player.
- Added a simple Text video filter also with rectangle
control overlay. This is a dynamic text filter supports pre-defined
variables: Timecode, Frame #, File date, File name.
- Enabled parallel video processing for Encode File on systems with
more than 2 logical cores when not using GPU Processing. This
makes encoding faster when using filters, transitions,
- Added an Opacity video filter.
- Added an option on video fade filters: Adjust opacity instead of
fade with black.
- Now you can add filters to an entire track by clicking the track
head and using the Filters panel.
- New projects created with this version now load much more quickly.
- Now the Stabilize video filter really does work on Windows.
- Added a Gamma menu item to the Settings menu when in GPU mode, which
performs gamma correction. Previously, the display gamma was fixed
at sRGB, but now you can choose Rec. 709. Previously, when applying
a GPU filter, Shotcut would output sRGB gamma when encoding to a
Y’CbCr file, and that has been removed/fixed.
- Transfer characteristic (gamma) metadata is now written to video
files that support it (e.g., H.264).
- The filter UI layout now automatically adapts to a horizontal or
vertical layout to suit more workspace layouts.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to version 2.3.
- add “Remove Old Program Files” option to Windows installer
- ask to exit if there are unfinished jobs
- fix crash when loading invalid XML
- add auto-save
- fix frames repeating at end of some clips
- fix Stabilize filter on Windows
- add elegant combination slider and spinner control and revise all
filter UIs to use it
- cleanup all filter UIs to be consistent with other areas of UI
- improve tooltips on timeline track headers
- fix bug that gives you a MLT-XML GPU warning when the Balance or Pan
filters are in a project
- Save to app config the folder path name of last saved project XML.
Then, use this path to default save dialogs such as next XML or
video stabilization data.
- On OS X, when using System theme, stack the display volume and mute
toggles so these widgets do not appear so wide.
- Workaround for the Stabilize filter’s analysis job crashing on
The analysis job still crashes at the end, but
the data is still created and usable. So, go ahead and try to use
the data regardless of the job’s failure.
- Make adjusting image duration on timeline easier.
the Duration field in Properties adjusts the out point, and the
actual duration is 10 minutes. This lets you add just a few seconds
to the Timeline by default but then stretch or shrink the image clip
on the timeline up to 10 minutes. If you need more than 10 minutes,
add the clip to the track again.
- upgrade x264 to git master and FFmpeg to v2.2
- check compatibility of MLT XML with current GPU processing mode
- introduce logging program activity to text file
- more fixes for file names with extended characters on Windows
- fix opening files with path/name with extended characters on Windows
- upgrade to Movit 1.1.1 and replace GLEW with libepoxy
Release 14.05 and Earlier
- 14.04.29: fix crash on Windows w/GPU upon closing Color Grading
- 14.04.17: add Wave filter
- 14.04.14: fix huge memory leak introduced in v14.04.05 while working
with interlaced clips with GPU Processing enabled
- 14.04.12: fix Overlay HTML filter appearing in filter list as
- 14.04.09: now provide 3 simultaneous color wheels for CPU-based
Color Grading filter
- 14.04.08: add Catalan language
- 14.04.04: require shift key to make editing keyboard shortcuts
target the playlist instead of the timeline
- 14.04.03: improved reliability for some FLV files and music with
- restore Crop filter for GPU
- fix drag-n-drop from playlist to timeline
- 14.03.27: fix GPU processing on OS X
- add GPU support for video wipe transitions
- fix aspect ratio of encoding on Windows in locales that use
comma for decimal point (broken since 14.02.27)
- 14.03.25: GPU processing upgrades broke on OS X
- 14.03.24: add transition properties and video wipes
- 14.03.23: add transition by trimming
- 14.03.19: add resizing transition
- 14.03.17: display a time delta while moving, trimming, and fading on
- 14.03.12: add initial support for cross-fade audio and video
- 14.03.11: add Open XML As Clip to File menu
- 14.03.09: in Encode, lock-down video parameters for presets that
have specific resolution and framerate
- add search for encode presets
- add Show Audio Waveforms toggle to timeline menu
|14.03.02: add seeking to previous and next edit points using
||buttons or alt+left/right keyboard shortcuts
- 14.03.01: add Fade In and Fade Out audio filters and Fade From Black
and Fade To Black video filters with special timeline fader controls
- more fixes for locales using comma for decimal point on Windows
- add a Set Default button for duration to the image properties
- add insert and overwrite for drag-n-drop into timeline
- add option to scrub over timeline when dragging clips into
timeline or within it
- show clip properties for selected shot on timeline
- 14.02.17: fix overwrite spanning multiple clips & gaps and undo for
- 14.02.15: fix a luma (brightness) change when applying non-GPU
- 14.02.14: fix undoing a split
- fix drag-n-drop from Source player to Timeline on Windows and OS
- add keyboard shortcut ‘S’ to split clip under playhead on
- 14.02.12: fix encoding with GPU processing on Windows
- fix GPU processing on Windows (where compatible)
- new video stabilization (
faster) and audio
normalization ( EBU R128)
(video stabilization still crashes on
Windows 8, but works for us on Windows 7 and other OS)
- 14.02.08: rework integration of playlist and timeline and change
player tabs to Source / Program
- 14.02.05: add external monitoring on additional system monitor
- 14.02.04: track compositing fixes
- 14.02.03: fix crash on startup on Windows with dock title bars
- fix accuracy of edits when saving and loading project XML in
locales with radix not a period
- set the UI locale from the language or host OS locale so that
radix appears and interpreted correctly
- add Restore Layout to View menu
- add Show Title Bars to View menu
- 14.01.30: add Split At Playhead to context menu of clip on timeline
- 14.01.29: add saving and loading of playlist in a timeline project
- 14.01.28: upgrade FFmpeg libs to v2.1
- 14.01.27: reduce GPU memory usage with GPU processing
- 14.01.25: fix crash using audio only clip on Windows
- 14.01.23: fix inserting into playlist by menu or keyboard command
(fix for OS X is in v14.01.24)
- 14.01.21: fix broken MP3 encode preset and sometimes wrong aspect
ratio in encode
- 14.01.20: add Vignette and Diffusion (GPU only) filters
- 14.01.14: improve GPU processing performance
- 14.01.05 - 14.01.18: various timeline bug fixes
- 14.01.05: added insert and overwrite edits
- fix GPU processing to work with Timeline
- re-enable GPU processing for Windows (still only partially works
on some systems)
- fix broken timeline on Windows
- fix putting Timeline panel in a tab stacked with other panels
- let Timeline panel be moved to top of window or floated
- 13.12.29: timeline broken on Windows
- 13.12.28: add multitrack timeline
- 13.12.26: fix OS X build broken since v13.12.21 due to Qt upgrade
- 13.12.22: upgrade Qt to version 5.2.0
- fix process not completely closing on Windows
- fix broken keyboard shortcuts when not using English
- 13.11.18: add Invert and Sepia Tone video filters
- 13.11.17: add OpenGL version and extension test
- 13.11.15: add thumbnail caching
- fix keyboard cursor left/right and page/up down (on Linux,
issues still persist on WIndows, OS X)
- add Stabilize video filter
- add Downmix audio filter
- add Swap Channels audio filter
- 13.11.06: add audio Normalize filter
- add player zoom button
- broke keyboard cursor left/right and page up/down for navigating
video (workaround: click on scrub bar to give it focus)
- 13.10.29: fix H.264 encoding on Windows - broken since 13.10.02
- 13.10.28: add Rotate video filter
- fix encode when GPU is enabled (regression since 13.09.30)
- add DeckLink keyer capability
- add WebVfx producer widget so you can set HTML generator
transparent (handy for keying HTML)
- 13.10.17: add audio Pan and Balance filters
- 13.10.16: fix loading tractor-based MLT XML files (e.g. from
Kdenlive or OpenShot)
- 13.10.15: fix Leap Motion for Linux and Windows
- disable Leap Motion in Linux builds
- fix opening correct file from Recent search
- add first audio filters
- 13.10.10: conflict between QtWebKit and libLeap on Linux resulting
in crash when loading HTML over HTTP
- 13.10.09: crashes in Recent panel when opening new (not in recent)
file (downloads deleted since high visibility crash)
- 13.10.08: add search field to Recent panel
- 13.10.02 - 13.10.07: writes incorrect playlist
- 13.09.21: Best known version before Qt 5 upgrade